Energy Saving Tips
Save energy, save money:
Energy conservation may result in financial savings, improved environmental quality and greater comfort for you and your family at home.
Top energy-saving tips:
- Up to 25% of heat lost in the home is due to poor attic insulation.
- Gaps around doors and windows account for 25% of all home heat lost.
- 15% of home heat escapes through the windows alone.
- Poorly insulated walls account for up 25% of heat lost in the home.
- 15% of home heat is lost through poorly insulated floors.
- A lagging jacket over the water cylinder will keep water warmer for longer.
- Glen Fuels recommends annual servicing of fuel burning appliances. Servicing a boiler that has not been serviced in three years, will reduce the amount of oil burned by up to 5%.
- Programme your heating system to come on and switch off at certain set times.
- Divide your house into zones (living area and sleeping area) and make use of a separate timer for each zone.
- Thermostat valves are easily fitted onto radiators and automatically regulate the radiator heat output. This ensures a constant temperature in the room.
- Modern boilers usually have an option to heat water and radiators separately. This means that in warm weather, you can use your boiler to heat water without heating the radiators at the same time.